Psalms 12-14

Click here for Sunday's Bible Reading.

Postcard Christianity

Read: Psalm 13

How long will You hide Your face from me? Psalm 13:1

When my husband and I visited Mt. Rainier, the highest point in the continental United States, I expected to see some spectacular sights. But for two days, the mountain remained shrouded in clouds. So instead of taking pictures, I bought postcards.

Our vacation caused me to question the way I portray my faith. Do I present a “postcard” view of Christianity? Do I show it only at its best and thus give the false impression that life is always sunny for Christians—that our view of God is always clear?

That’s not what King David did. In passion-filled poetry, he admitted that he couldn’t see God and didn’t understand what God was up to. But by the end of his prayer, he was again resting in faith, knowing that what he couldn’t see was nevertheless there because he had seen it before in God’s bountiful care.
Christians are like people living at the foot of Mt. Rainier. They’ve seen the mountain before, so they know it exists even when clouds are covering it.
Even though suffering and confusion sometimes cloud our view of God, we remain confident that He is still there by recalling all the times we’ve witnessed His goodness and grandeur. –Julie Ackerman Link


Click here to read the published version in Our Daily Bread.

No comments: