Exodus 1-3; Proverbs 9:1-9

Click here for Wednesday's Bible Reading.

If you want to have a little bit of fun the next time you’re in a theological discussion and someone asks, “Who is God?” say “I am.”

The likely response to such a preposterous answer is, “What do you mean you are God?”

Then say, I didn’t say, “You are God,” I said “I am.”

You could prolong the confusion and, if you’re clever enough, perhaps become famous for creating a religious version of Abbot and Costello’s classic comedy sketch “Who’s on First?”

Or you could quote Exodus 3 and explain that “I am” is the name God gave Himself when Moses wanted to know what to call Him.

I have long wondered why God would call himself by such a silly-sounding name, but slowly I am learning its significance. People who study writing or language know that a sentence needs only two things to be complete: a subject and a verb. So when God says his name is “I AM,” He is saying that He is complete. He is matter, and He is motion. He is everything there is, which is everything we could possibly need.

Jesus left heaven to put flesh on God’s bare-boned answer to Moses’ question “Who are you?” Here are some of the details Jesus added to explain His Father’s name and to expand on what it means to bear the name “I am.”

I am the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.
I am the bread of life.
I am the light of the world.
I am the good shepherd.
I am the resurrection and the life.
From Revelation 22:13; John 14:6; 6:48; 8:12; 10:11; 11:25

If you’re questioning who God is, get to know Jesus. —Julie Ackerman Link

No comments: