John 11-15; Proverbs 5:15-23

Click here for Saturday's Bible Reading.

John 13:31-35
When [Judas] was gone, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.
 "My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.
 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

-----------------------

At the end of the last supper with his disciples, Jesus made a last, impassioned plea, which he repeated three times: "Love one another." The third time he said it, he indicated that their witness to the world would depend on it.
 Christians have many excuses as to why our witness to the world has failed, but few of them acknowledge our failure to love one another as the primary reason.
 In an interview with Matt Lauer on the Today Show, Dan Merchant, comedy writer, filmmaker, and author of Lord, Save Us from Your Followers, said, "We're more comfortable being right than we are about trying to do the hard thing of loving one another."
 In light of recent schisms, both local and national, in the family of God over who is right, I wondered what would happen if Christians made "being right" secondary to "being loving." Isn't that God's final word on what it means to "be right"?

You can watch the entire interview here . . .

No comments: